followers

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Brief Rest

We had been here for days (I'm assuming. I haven't really been paying attention), and we were all out of food, fortunately, we managed to find a store. It was a small place in the shape of a pawn. There was a sign on the door saying "THIS STORE IS NEUTRAL GROUND - FIGHTING IS NOT PERMITTED INSIDE".

We entered to see a man operating the front desk. He had shoulder length black hair, and wore a red jacket over a black t-shirt and blue jeans. He was wearing a weird looking mask. It was white, and bore the symbol of the club. On top of the symbol was a fancy looking 8. He was reading a dirty magazine, which, as amusing as it was, was a little weird considering his mask didn't have eye-holes. It didn't have any straps or string either, which raised the question of how it was staying on his face.

I had some money on me, but not much. So we agreed to get just what we needed to survive. And booze. We unanimously agreed to buy booze. Algeria was the only only one there who was old enough, so we asked her to buy for us. As soon as I asked, I heard the masked man's voice from across the room.

"I don't card," He said. "You can relax."
"How did you hear me from over there?" I asked. "I was practically whispering."
"I have good hearing," He said. "What are you guys looking to buy?"

We got together a few groceries. I picked up some jerky and granola bars, with a couple bottles of vodka. Algeria got some poptarts and a jug of orange juice. Andrew got a loaf of bread, some peanut butter, and a candy bar. We got up to the register and asked him how much it would cost.

"126 points," He replied.
"Points?" I asked.
"Yes," He replied. "Benjamin Malkator, total point value: 355. Algeria Touchshriek, total point value: 75. Andrew Miles, total point value: 578. Each competitor earns a certain number of point with each victory depending on how hard you fought and how you defeated your opponent."
"How did you rack up so many?" I asked Andrew.
"I beat about 6 people so far," He said. "Tell you what, I'll cover all of this. Just my way of sayinh thanks for letting me email my girl back home."
"That's generous of you," I told him.
"No problem," he said.

So Andrew payed for every thing and then we went on to win the tournament, I was reunited with Collector Epsilon and we got married and had three beautiful children and we lived happily ever after.

I wish that was what happened. But alas, everything went to hell once everything was paid for. A freakin' hand grenade crashed through the window, and next thing we knew the entire store was up in flames. We managed to save all the food we got and dragged the unconscious shop keeper out of there. There was a Timberwolf outside, readying another grenade. Andrew immediately pulled a whip from his bag and disarmed the man. I was about to join the fight, but someone else interfered before I got the chance.

He appeared out of thin air, facing us. He stabbed the Timberwolf straight through the hear with a tanto which he held in a reverse grip. He wore an assassin's gi, and his mask looked much like the shopkeeper's mask, only it displayed the symbol of an Spade and the letter A. The Timberwolf fell to the ground, dead, and his assailant approached us.

"How is the Eight of Clubs?" He asked.
"He's still alive," I informed him.
"I would like you to stay with the Eight of Clubs until he recovers," He said. "My name is the Ace of Spades.  I am the one who punishes rule-breakers. If you defy me, it will be the last mistake you ever make."

After he left, we waited for the Eight of Clubs to regain consciousness. When he came to, he was rather disappointed to find his shop in ruins.

"Are you gonna be all right?" I asked.
"I'll be fine," He said. "As for the shop, the Diamonds will repair everything in time. Until then, would you mind if I traveled with you?"
"I can't guarantee your safety if you do," I told him.
"I'm well aware of all of your abilities," He said. "I'm sure I'll be safe in your hands. And my knowledge could be helpful to you."

He was right. I don't know a damned thing about this world. A member of the deck could become an invaluable ally. So We agreed to invite into the team. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must indulge myself in sweet, sweet intoximacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment