followers

Sunday, May 20, 2012

An Ally

I seem to have lost sense of time. The only clock I have left is the one on my computer, which I keep turned off most of the time to conserve batteries. And when I do have it on, I can't tell which timezone this world is linked to. About an hour ago, I encountered a Timberwollf who seemed to be searching for some one, with a gun drawn. I decided to step out and say hello. I positioned my left arm and sling in a way that would best conceal my mouth and stepped into the open.

"Hello!" I called out. "I like the insignia on your jacket. The Twin Triangles, correct."
"You got some nerve," He growled. "Challenging me with a handicap like that. Don't you know who I am?"
He was getting overconfident. Perfect.
"I could ask you the same question," I said.
"You look like some insane cripple from where I'm standing," He said. "Ain't it cold without your shirt on?"
"Doesn't bother me much," I lied. "I actually kind of enjoy this weather."

He started laughing out loud and lowered his gun. Bad move. I moved my arm out of the way and launched my tongues at him. I entangled his arms, legs, and neck and began pulling. Just enough to cause him pain without tearing him to shreds. I never understood Beta's methods before, but now I could feel it. The sick thrill of causing others pain. It was wonderful! I allowed myself to bask in his screams for a little while before ending his miserable life.

It was after I had consumed him that a woman stepped out of the shadows. I used one of my tongues to grab the mans gun and bring it into my good hand. I aimed it straight at her head.

"Wait, I'm on your side!" She pleaded.
"There are no sides in this game," I said.
"Please," She said, "I'm with the SMSC. I could help you."
"My allegiances have a tendency of spiraling out of control," I said to her.
"Your names Benjamin Malkator, isn't it?" She asked.
"What of it?" I demanded.
"My name is Algeria Touchshriek," she said. "If the two of us worked together, we'd have a better chance of surviving in this game."
"There can only be one winner," I reminded her. "In the end, we'll have to fight each other. And I sure by that point, I'll have regained my powers."
"Winning isn't my top priority," She said. "I just want to find a way out of here."
"And where do suggest we look for this 'way out'?" I asked. "How do you know there even is one?"
"I guess I have to beat the answers out of the Game Master," She said.
"I don't know much about this 'Game Master', but I doubt he'd be afraid of some human like you," I said.
"All the more reason for us to team up," She said.
"Whatever," I said, tucking the gun into my belt. "Tag along if you want, but if you walk this road with me, all you'll find at the end is despair."

And so now I have an ally in all this. Yippy.

1 comment: